With the explosion of makes, models and software revision numbers finding a way to root YOUR particular android phone has become complicated and convoluted at best.
Most instructions, once found, include a dozen steps including downloading and running the Android developer kit, tons of command line voodoo, and choosing a full custom ROM that may or may not have all of the functionality that your stock phone came with.
The bulk of the work being done that is worth mention has been happening at the XDA Developers forum.
I recently found this little gem bured in the HTC Hero section: a proper one-click rooting method for stock Android phones!
The post is found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=753910 and we're so excited about this technique that that we're hosting a mirror here:
Universal Android Root 1.6.1 (load this link in your android browser).
- Download the Universal Android Root application from your phone's web browser
- Install, and run the software
- Tap "root"
- wait ~30 seconds, the program will give you status updates as well as confirmation when complete
- reboot your phone
Once your phone is rooted you will be able to download and install apps from the market that are "for root users only". Examples of things you can do:
- take screen shots
- share your mobile connection with your computers via wifi
- do full system backups to your SD card
- over/underclock your phone for performace/better battery life
- install custom ROMS to run the newest releases of android, for better performance, etc.
- Google Nexus One 2.2
- Acer Liquid 2.1
- Dell Streak 2.1
- Motorola Milestone 2.1
- Motorola XT701
- Motorola XT800 2.1
- Motorola ME511
- HTC Hero 2.1
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini pro
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i
- T-Mobile G1 1.6
- HTC Magic 32A 1.5
- HTC Magic 32B 1.6
- Mytouch 3G (3.5mm)
- Mytouch 3G Slide (v1.6.1 seems to put the phone into reboot loop)
- LG Ally
- Droid X
- Vibo A688 1.6
- Samsung i9000 (Galaxy S)
- Samsung i6500U
- HuaWei U8220
- HTC Desire / Legend / Wildfire
- Don't let the versioning of this software fool you, this will NOT replace your current install of Android with 1.6
- This does NOT change your install of Android to a custom ROM, it ONLY enables the root user, which you can do with what you wish
- *This software is not actually titled quickPWN nor is it made by the talented fellas that make the official quickPWN software for iPhone jailbreaking. I have borrowed their term as the attention that software has attracted would lead many to begin their rooting search for android with searches such as "quickpwn android".
- *The "one click" referred to in the title is the click after you have installed and are running the rooting app